Liposuction for love handles is a surgical procedure that eliminates deposits of fat from the flanks, or sides of the torso. Liposuction removes fat cells through a narrow suction device that is inserted beneath the skin of the treatment area. Unwanted body fat is an unavoidable reality for most of us. However, genetics and lifestyle can lead some people to store fat more readily around their torso. This can lead to stubborn deposits of fat, commonly called “love handles.” Pregnancy, stress, and the natural aging process affect hormones and metabolism and can also lead to changes in how and where fat is stored.
If love handles are having an effect on your self-confidence, and diet and exercise aren’t seeming to make a difference, a solution does exist. Liposuction is an effective way to target and permanently reduce unwanted fat. Denver Liposuction Speciality Clinic performs liposuction using state-of-the-art technology, including VASER liposuction, allowing patients to see results with a quick recovery. If you’re ready to see how liposuction can help improve your body and thus self-esteem, contact us today at 720-372-2155!
What Are Love Handles?
Love handles are deposits of fat that form over the oblique muscles on the sides of our torsos. They rest just above the iliac crest, the upper arc of bone on the right and left sides of our pelvis. These common but dreaded accumulations of adipose tissue (fat) contribute to “muffin top.” If you’ve found an overhang on your waistline, you’d be hard pressed to try to exercise them away. Side bends and sit-ups are rarely effective because the abdomen is one of the last places the body will burn fat from. The subcutaneous fat around our abdomen plays several important functions such as regulating our body temperature, protecting our internal organs, and acting as stored energy in case calories are no longer available.(1) While this was an important evolutionary trait that kept early man alive, it’s more of an unsightly nuisance these days.
Liposuction was initially developed nearly 50 years ago, and today, it’s the most commonly performed aesthetic surgery worldwide. (2) Advances in the techniques and technology used during this procedure have made modern liposuction safer, more effective, and more comfortable for patients than ever before. Liposuction permanently removes fat cells from targeted areas of the body that are considered “problem” areas for many. The abdomen, arms, thighs, and back are popular treatment areas. And for those unhappy with a double chin, liposuction can be used to contour the jawline.
- Treatment areas are infiltrated with tumescent fluid. This solution combines saline, lidocaine, and epinephrine. This combination further numbs the area, makes fat easier to remove, and constricts blood vessels, simplifying the fat removal process.
- The VASER technology is then inserted subdermally into the treatment area through a tiny incision, where the ultrasound energy emulsifiers the fat.
- The cannula is attached to a vacuum pump that will suction fat cells from these regions. Preparing the fat with VASER technology allows us to get better results, and is what sets Denver Liposuction apart from the rest!
- The surgeon will carefully contour the area, suctioning away unwanted fat, and ensuring that the results are even and the desired effect is achieved. (2)
Benefits of Liposuction for Flanks
When fat cells are removed from the body, including from the love handles, they are removed permanently. And if a person meets the surgical procedure halfway and commits to maintaining a healthy lifestyle with diet and exercise, the results are long-lasting. Eliminating love handles will make clothes fit better, give the entire midsection smoother, more slender contours, and give patients a giant boost in self-esteem! Although liposuction permanently removes fat, and fat cells are unable to regenerate, remaining fat cells can still expand. As a result, maintaining a stable weight is key.
Who Is A Good Candidate For Love Handle Liposuction?
A good candidate for liposuction will be an adult who meets some or all of the following criteria:
- Your body weight is within 30% of its ideal BMI.
- You don’t smoke or are prepared to quit before your procedure and for the duration of your recovery.
- Your aesthetic goals are achievable and realistic.
- You have good skin elasticity.
- Diet and regular exercise have not had an effect on your love handles.
You deserve to have a body that you feel good about, and the team at Denver Liposuction is here to help. During your personal consultation, we’ll discuss your ideal physique, review your medical history, and determine whether liposuction will be a beneficial procedure for you. For more information on how liposuction can uniquely improve your body, self-esteem, and potentially life, contact us to schedule a consultation today. Call our offices in Englewood at 720-372-2155 to get started!
How To Prepare For The Procedure
Adequate preparation will ensure that your procedure goes smoothly and that you enjoy a speedy recovery.
- Find a caregiver to drive you home from the procedure and stay with you for at least 24 hours.
- If you are a smoker or use other nicotine products, we ask you to stop several weeks beforehand.
- Discontinue blood-thinning medication like aspirin and ibuprofen, and certain herbal treatments, vitamins, and supplements. Make sure you’ve discussed any medications you currently take with your surgeon.
We also suggest having a wardrobe of loose-fitting clothing. Your sides will be tender and swollen following liposuction, and this will make getting dressed easier.
After you arrive at Denver Lipo, you’ll meet with your surgeon to discuss any last-minute details, answer any questions, and make sure you’re comfortable. They’ll make markings on your sides to guide them as they perform the procedure. These markings are topographical and help identify the specific bulges and depths that will need to be addressed in order to achieve even, symmetrical results that complement your unique anatomy. Then, you’ll be administered local anesthesia and a sedative, and be prepped for surgery. The tumescent fluid will be injected into the treatment areas and then the cannula will be inserted via small incisions that are strategically located to allow the surgeon to evenly access the area. Once the necessary amount of fat is removed from each flank, the incisions will be closed, and your torso will be placed in a compression garment. The pressure from this wrapping will help alleviate swelling, and ensure that the cavities formed in the remaining fat collapse for an even, smooth contour.
When the procedure is complete, we’ll move you to a recovery room and monitor you until you’re ready to be released to your designated caregiver. Immediately after, you will still be numb from the anesthesia and will still be unable to feel the effects of the treatment. As the anesthesia wears off, you’ll have prescribed medication to manage any discomfort. The first two or three days of recovery are usually the most uncomfortable, so you’ll want to make sure that you have your pain medication on hand, and are able to focus on resting. You’ll have a follow-up appointment in the days after your procedure so that we can monitor your progress, and answer any questions you have about the recovery process.
You’ll need to continue wearing compression garments as instructed, for anywhere from one to three months as you heal. You’ll be able to remove them to shower, and clean your incision sites. It’s normal to experience some fluid drainage from your incisions following liposuction, and absorbent pads can help make the experience less unpleasant. Although the majority of swelling will dissipate over the next few weeks, residual swelling can last for up to six months.
After swelling and discomfort subside, your leaner contour will take shape. Maintaining this new physique will require a healthy lifestyle, with regular exercise and a balanced diet. Liposuction removes fat cells, but it’s impossible to remove all the fat cells in a treatment area. So, the remaining fat cells are still able to expand if your body has the opportunity to store excess calories, say from overeating or a sedentary lifestyle. With the right upkeep, you can maintain a healthy body weight and enjoy sleek sides and a smaller waistline for many years. Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
Denver Lipo also performs liposuction in tandem with a fat transfer. Our surgeons can liposuction fat from areas like the flanks or abdomen that can then be transferred to other body parts to create a fuller, rounder, more youthful appearance. Fat transfers are done for the buttocks as part of the popular Brazilian Butt Lift procedure, which is also called a gluteal fat transfer. (3)
The cost of liposuction will vary depending on each patient’s unique needs and overall goals. Schedule a consultation with us today to learn more about how liposuction can help you attain your goals and help reshape your form to reach an achievable, desirable ideal!
- Kwok KHM, Lam KSL, Xu A. Heterogeneity of white adipose tissue: molecular basis and clinical implications. Experimental & Molecular Medicine. 2016;48(3):e215-e215. doi:10.1038/emm.2016.5
- Bellini E, Grieco MP, Raposio E. A journey through liposuction and liposculture: Review. Ann Med Surg (Lond). 2017;24:53-60. Published 2017 Nov 6. doi:10.1016/j.amsu.2017.10.024
- Wu S, Coombs DM, Gurunian R. Liposuction: Concepts, safety, and techniques in body-contouring surgery. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine. 2020;87(6):367-375. doi:10.3949/ccjm.87a.19097